Thursday, November 13, 2014

Why So Anxious? 0_o


Today I had an amusing conversation with someone. The summary :
"Inder, I am so anxious of everything. I'm afraid im never going to find someone for myself. I dont think i have the right job. I  I've got to make this life make sense. I am literally wasting my life away and I cant do anything about it"

What i thought at that very moment was simple.




Then when i got home (when the late wisdom came in ) He was not going insane. He was anxious.

Anxiety.
Spun so carelessly people dont know what it means anymore


TAKEN FROM THE CANADIAN CPG OF PSY;

Anxiety disorders are a group of mental disorders characterized by various combinations of key features—excessive anxiety, fear, worry, avoidance, and compulsive rituals—that are associated with impaired functioning or significant distress 
Others will present with sleeplessness, vague pains, headache, dizziness, stomach upset, or other somatic symptoms. Complaints of loss of concentration, tiredness, and reduced effectiveness in routine
tasks may also be prominent symptoms
.



Of course. There are a few more criteria that will turn Anxiety into a disorder that requires medication (but i will not be speaking on that or this will turn into a PSY lecture)

I used to be very anxious person. I am capable of thinking all the worse case scenarios that can happen. Whether it comes down to driving on the road or meeting someone new (Dont even get me started on exams) I realize when there was something bothering me I try to occupy myself with other tasks.


Aggression seeped in when speaking to people around me who i do not want to hurt so I preferred to isolate myself. 
I ate badly, either consuming too much or too little. This goes on till i get exhausted, up to the point where i could not care less of the outcome of the thing i have been so worried about.

I refused to believe i was anxious for no reason.



How can u tell a student not to feel anxious before an exam?
He has trained and waited for this very moment. It can go both ways. He has given his best yet all his efforts can be proven to be in vain
 (the very reason i get irked when someone sends me the Keep Calm memes during exams)



 How i usually read that as




All these is because of one thing :

I want to control the Future.
I want to know what is going to happen next, I need the assurance.
I want the Outcome to be what is best for me, the way i want it.

And so, i ruin the present day feeling anxious about tomorrow, unknowingly burning bridges with people around me :)

Sometimes u just have to let go you know, believe there is a Higher Being looking out for you, wanting the best outcome, whether or not it goes the way we planned. Just do your best and believe the outcomes is what was meant to be.

You cant master anxiety. We were born with it.
What you can do is learn to live with it. Its not easy but just as we have learned to live with rain and storm this too shall pass with time.
And as feeling anxious of never finding someone to grow old with, just stop. Let things be the way it is. You will see in time feeling anxious will not bring the person any closer or sooner.


It is so hard to tell your passionate heart to be still, to have faith, free of tension and fear
Dont let anxiety enslave you. Dont waste your life away worrying.

No comments:

Post a Comment